The Department of Economics is one of the four original departments (Political Science, Finance, Local Autonomous and Social Economics) established by the predecessors of National Chengchi University, formerly known as the National Central Politics University, in the year 1929. Its name was formally changed to the Department of Economics in 1931. After the reestablishment of National Chengchi University in Taiwan in year 1954, the Department of Economics began recruitment and enrollment with Professor Xun Ou-yang as the first dean of the department. A Master program was then established in 1972 followed by the addition of a PhD program in 1985. In 1990, the university doubled the enrollment class allowing the Department of Economics to become one of the most structured and largest departments. Under the leadership of all the previous department deans as well as efforts from the entire teaching staff and students, the Department has continuously improved and embellished its curriculum and teaching caliber. Currently, Professor Jen-Te Hwang assumes the Department Dean position.
The curriculum focuses both on the theories and the actual practice of Economics for the purpose of preparing our students for future studies or employment. Therefore, our programs that involve fundamental courses or application and analysis are all designed based on the above objective.
The simultaneous focus on theories and actual practice allows our students to develop diversely upon their graduation. Our graduates have enjoyed excellent development in industries, the governmental sector, and the academic sector.